Student engagement and student participation often gets confused, but there is a big difference. Students can be active with their participation, answering questions, involved in discussion, and attentive in body language. These same students, however, can be disengaged in their own learning. This workshop will help participants understand the seven components research indicates that students need to be engaged. Numerous examples of strategies and resources will be provided.
At the end of the training, participants will:
- Understand the difference between engagement and participation.
- Know what student engagement looks like.
- Learn the 7 components to student engagement.
- Recognize current engagement and participation structures in the classroom.
- Collaborate with other educators.
- Investigate strategies for classroom and school-wide activities and structures.