Fifty percent of individuals who identify as transgender will attempt or commit suicide. That is an alarming number. It is essential that schools know their responsibilities for providing an equitable education for all students, as well as a safe and supportive school culture. But what does this look like, what are schools required to do, and what are best practices? This workshop will address these issues and provide guidance to educators on how to plan for, welcome, and support students who are transgender.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Understand LGBTQ definitions and acronyms.
- Know discrimination policies & laws.
- Identify best practices for school personnel, safety and school culture.
- Have strategies for navigating school facilities & activities.
- Understand and begin to create transition plans.