Effectively supporting beginning teachers is crucial for both retention and developing expertise in relation to student achievement. During this highly interactive workshop, Dr. Tina H. Boogren will guide leaders, coaches, and mentors in specific ways to support beginning teachers. Explore and discuss strategies for implementing research-based mentoring traits into your own district, school, or practice.
- Understand the foundational research and theory on supporting beginning teachers.
- Gain an understanding of how to establish a solid foundation for mentoring relationships.
- Acquire specific strategies to provide essential physical, emotional, and institutional support for beginning teachers.
- Frame essential instructional support strategies within a common language of instruction, including how to engage in goal setting, focused practice, focused feedback, observations and discussions of teaching, in order to immediately and continually improve instructional practices for the beginning teacher.
- Hear the voice of a beginning teacher in order to reflect and engage in meaningful dialogue between mentors and mentees.
TESS Components: 1d, 4d, 4e, 4f
This workshop is based on the book Supporting Beginning Teachers by Tina H. Boogren. Each participant will receive a free copy of the book.
This session is for novice teacher district and building level contacts ONLY.