This training will introduce you the curriculum resource written by Illustrative Mathematics and provided FREE by through Kendall Hunt called Illustrative Mathematics Algebra, Geometry, or Algebra 2 Math Curriculum (IM).
This curriculum provides:
- Vertical alignment information (K-HS) and differentiation strategies in the easy-to-follow teacher notes.
- Student-friendly learning targets at the beginning and end of each lesson to encourage students to take ownership in their own learning.
- Diagnostic and End-of-Unit Assessments, as well as Mid-Unit assessments for longer units.
- Built-in support for English Learners and Students with Disabilities within each unit, rather than providing in supplemental materials.
The initial three-day training is an opportunity to learn all the curriculum has to offer and the instructional strategies paired with it:
- Day 1: A Focus on the Resource - A Look at the Curriculum and its Coherence
- Day 2: A Focus on Pedagogy - Implementing the Curriculum
The training continues with optional follow-up support during the school year to ease the transition from professional development to implementation in the classroom with real students. We will customize support for each school based on your expressed needs for your students. Participants will register for follow-up support separately.
This curriculum is funded by a grant from the Gates Foundation and from NSF. Curriculum for grades 6-8 is also available. Illustrative Mathematics plans to provide K-Algebra 2 vertically aligned curriculum in the near future.